Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Jesus Wept.

Over the last quarter century, my experience has taught me many things. One of the lessons most prominent in my recent life is best described by the promise given me through my stake president which I paraphrase here: "All things will work together for the benefit of the faithful." I have recently really started to notice that this is a promise which will always be upheld. It is a law. Also, my understanding of what it means to be "benefited" has been increased at the same time.

As an example, here is a quotation I received:
"When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate now knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares." - Samuel Paterson
This is something I really needed to hear right at the very moment I received it. From it, I learned many lessons. One was that even if we do need to change something in our lives, it does not mean we need to change everything. For me, that means that I was not entirely in error as a teenager. It taught me something that many of us need to learn: to just listen and be with a person and not worry about trying to be a problem solver or give advice all of the time.

Sometimes a cure is in order - sometimes we are to do more than just listen. However, we will know when that time is and then we can act. I am reminded of a scripture:

"Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. When Jesus therefore saw her weeping...he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Jesus wept." (John 11:32-35)
Here we see Christ, the great physician of all mankind, weeping with Mary as she mourns for the death of her brother, Lazarus. Christ knew that Lazarus was not lost forever for He knew not only that life continues beyond death but that Lazarus would soon be raised from the dead and, after his mortal life again came to an end, Lazarus would experience the resurrection and be forever without death. So why, then, did He weep?

I think Christ wept because He felt the pain of Mary. He wept with Mary. He did not immediately try to cure her sadness or fix that which caused her sorrow. Instead, He remained with Mary and wept with her.

This is a lesson we can all learn a little better. For me, it is something I have struggled with since I left on my mission. I have become one who wants to fix the problem now! If I were in a similar situation as Christ was with Mary (and I am in no way comparing myself to Him who is Endless), I would have immediately ran to where Lazarus lay and brought him back into mortality and presented him before Mary. This is rarely an example of a proper course of action.

May we all seek to be those who weep with those who weep and mourn with those who mourn. Let us all be friends who, when we see a friend in turmoil, sit down with our arm around them and just listen to them if words come. Perhaps we just sit. May love always be our guiding star!

1 comment:

Leda Harrington said...

Hey Chris! This is Leda. I saw you had a blog and thought I would check it out! (I like reading blogs :D )
I just had to comment on this...what you said has really made me think. During my mom's illness/death I would turn to certain women in my ward to help me with my situtation. But what would happen is I would tell them how I felt and then they would cut me off before I was finished and give me advice. But the advice they gave me was...overbearing? And it wasn't even advice really! They took a few pieces of what I had said, then make conclusions on how I felt! But sometimes I didn't even know how I felt, I needed to figure it out on my own, but they never really gave me a chance, they just told me how I felt. They were kinda playing the psychiatrist, it almost seemed like they were giving me textbook answers (this is what happened, this is how you should feel because it triggers...). I think what I wanted was someone to cry with me, like Jesus did with Mary! Jesus was teaching a very powerful lesson! Jesus is a true and loyal friend! He didn't go and raise Lazarus right away, because he had a bigger concern at the moment. Mary was mourning. He needed to comfort her. Lazarus (I hate to be so blunt) was not getting any deader. But Mary's heart was probably breaking from grief. THAT was Jesus' main concern. Now I have to look at my own life... If Jesus came to my mom's funeral and raised her from the dead right then and there, I think I would have felt a little...ignored? I mean, if he did raise her right then and there I would be the most happiest person in the world!!!! I don't think anything could describe how I would have felt! But I would at least want Jesus to give me a hug and tell me things were going to be ok, or like you said, words may not even come! Just to have a hug from a TRUE friend would have made me feel SOOO much better! (I gotta tell you, none of my friends showed up to my mom's funeral. But I was in so much pain I hardly noticed!) Then after he gave me a reassuring hug and maybe a kiss on the forehead, I would have more faith in Jesus that he would make things right again, even if it wasn't raising my mom! Just having Jesus remind me that I was going to see my mom again and that we are sealed would have made things 100% better! Anyway! Jesus is the greatest teacher of all and I am still learning so much from his examples! Sorry, I'm kinda rambling! But your entry has really made me think! I try to give people advice to, and hopefully it's not to textbooky, but I know what it's like to feel alone and I just don't want people to feel that way! I have quit a few friends whose parent has/had cancer, and they are struggling with it...sometimes I wish I could just transfer what I have learned from my experience to that other person! Do you ever feel that way? But what is the fun in that? Learning things for yourself is harder, but it's more rewarding. I think Mary might have had to think of some things before Jesus could raise Lazarus. Anyway! I hope this made sense! Sorry, I pretty much wrote a book! I talk to much! You probably already know this anyway! :D You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge!

~Leda