Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pumping Iron

The current topic of study in my calculus class is differentials. These are not a topic that I enjoy yet and I hope that I can quickly become comfortable with them. I do not yet see the great power that lies behind these mathematical gadgets and I need to come to enjoy them because they are such a big part of the math used in theoretical physics! Hoo-ray.

The other day I talked with a young lady at work about intelligence. I have never considered myself an intelligent person but rather an average person who enjoys science. It has been pointed out to me several times over the past couple of years that my mind tends to work more quickly and efficiently than most in the world of logic and math. This was not the case when I was younger. This young lady attempted to convince me that intelligence was always an inborn trait which is unlearnable. Is it?

My mathematics teacher taught me something about this. He compared the study of mathematics and the application of what is learned to a mental gymnasium. Just like lifting weights and running track builds strength, endurance and physical ability, so doing math builds mental strength, endurance and ability. Since he told me that about a year ago, I have paid special attention to my mental strengths. I noticed that on days when I did mathematics, my mind tended to work better in terms of speed, efficiency, and capacity. I have also noticed an improvement over time as I continue my study in the field of mathematics.

What does this all mean? Almost anybody can develop intelligence! Isn't that wonderful? Just spend time in a mental gymnasium however you see fit. Make sure to push yourself just like you would if you were training yourself physically. You will get tired. You will want to give up. Work through the pain and let your mind grow! Never give up! Intelligence is a talent that can be developed.

To me, this is humbling and empowering.

Apparently it was also empowering to that young lady who visited me at work. She requested the name of my professor who taught me the idea and will sign-up for his next class.

No comments: