Saturday, February 12, 2011

On Gravity and Biographies

It has indeed been quite some time since last I wrote! I feel compelled to write presently though I am not sure why. Perhaps it is for you who reads it or perhaps it is for me who writes it.

My thoughts recently have centered around several subjects but presently I consider the example of those who lived before us and also those who live alongside us. Example is a tremendous and valuable textbook that we write for ourselves every time we associate with great men and women though books, movies, or even face to face. I have known many great men and women and I continue to meet more as the weeks and months pass. The first great man I ever knew was my great-grandfather, my paternal grandmother's father. He passed-away when I was twenty-one but I grew up watching him.

He was from another time, another age. He was many things but I shall always think of him as a "worker." All great men whose impression on the eternal fabric remains indelible were "workers" of one sort or another. Some were of the physical kind and others were of the mental kind. Others, like my grandpa, had the blood of both races flowing in their veins. To date I have never known a man who could work for so long and so well with so little apparent effort. (That seems to be an attribute of effectively great workers - they accomplish so much so seemingly naturally.)

I know better though. As I presently read through President Gordon B. Hinckley's biography, I see his effort and I notice his sacrifice. The only difference between a great man and an average one is their priority list, I think. Get your priorities deeply imbued in your heart and mind and in the right order and act and God will provide you with success.

Don't know where to start? Think of somebody you consider a great man and "read" their "biography."

No comments: